A small School, big on heart, big on ambition
- Scotland’s oldest boarding school, founded in 1827.
- One of UK’s leading independent boarding and day schools, welcoming girls and boys aged 0 to 18.
- Set in a safe, leafy, spacious, 85 acre campus in Musselburgh; the school enjoys all the advantages of its rural setting.
- Globally connected, with the convenience and opportunities of being just 9 kilometres / 6 miles from Edinburgh, its international airport, rail and road networks.
- Offering the traditional British / English curriculum of GCSEs and A-levels, and ranked in the top 7% of schools nationally for A-level.
- 97% of pupils enter the University of their choice, such as Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, and Durham.
- Welcoming about 600 pupils, 400 in the Senior School, 200 in the Junior School and Nursery.
- An excellent staff to pupil ratio (1:7).
- Boarders (75% of Senior School pupils) reside in six Houses with all they need to feel at home and benefit from excellent pastoral care.
- Every pupil is known personally, and can grow and develop wherever their interests lie.
- A distinctive emphasis on the full development of the individual in mind, body and spirit.
- Exceptional facilities, bespoke to learning and teaching, sport, drama, dance, art and music.
- A dedicated Sixth Form Centre.
- Extensive Sports programme with specialised coaches in major sports including Cricket, Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby and more.
- An industry-leading Golf Academy with indoor and outdoor centres, providing every pupil with an unmatched opportunity to develop their talent.
Loretto is located in Musselburgh, East Lothian.
Set amid extensive grounds close to the countryside of East Lothian, Loretto’s campus occupies 85 acres (24 ha) and is only six miles from the city of Edinburgh.
Nearest airports: Edinburgh Airport is 17 miles (24 minutes) from where there are daily flights to all parts of Europe.
GCSEs and A-levels are studied and Loretto has an outstanding academic record. 95% of our A level pupils achieve places in their chosen university with a high proportion securing places at the elite ‘Russell Group’ institutions, such as Oxford and Cambridge, Imperial College London, UCL, Durham and Edinburgh.
Teaching at Loretto centres on the individual and encourages pupils to study independently, and to think for themselves – a vital preparation for university. Small classes and exceptionally good teacher-pupil relationships enable pupils to learn at their own pace, developing their talents to the full.
We are passionate about sport. Sport plays a vital role in the life of all our pupils and Loretto has a long tradition of producing competitive and successful teams in both major and minor sports. The Loretto Golf Academy offers pupils an exceptional opportunity to develop their sporting talent in tandem with a first-class, all-round education. The Academy operates from the School’s practice facilities and local championship golf courses. The School believes in the unique educational and social values that experience of playing team sports provides, and considers participation in team sports to be very important. Everyone is encouraged to represent the School in the major sports teams. Team games are integrated into the pattern of the week, encouraging the development of skills in Rugby, Hockey, Lacrosse, Netball, or Tennis. Pupils are regularly being selected to represent county and country. Regular competitive fixtures are well supported, encouraging pride, spirit and responsibility
Acknowledged as a centre of excellence for its music, drama and art, Loretto is an all-Steinway piano school, has its own theatre, Chapel, recording studio and radio station, and many former pupils now pursue successful careers in this field.
‘Loretto is situated in a perfect Location, close to Edinburgh’s city centre… so I am surrounded by the most beautiful countryside. As the school is not too large, pupils at Loretto get to form friendships with their teachers and regularly get the chance of personal tuition…. To me, being at Loretto means that I am confident, happy and secure because Loretto is not just a school, it is much more. Loretto strengthens my existing talents and nurtures lesser ones. I can be the best I can be. It encourages me to develop and grow at my own pace, it supports success and builds on failures. I am treated and respected as an individual yet also integrated within the whole school community. I am so proud to be a Lorettonian. Loretto has equipped me with values to last a lifetime, and has reinforced honesty and integrity.’
Admissions & Fees
Loretto School’s Admissions procedure aims to ensure that boys and girls who join Loretto are able to be happy, successful and secure within its academic, cultural and pastoral environment, whether they are boarders or day pupils.
Senior School – Applications are accepted for entry into most years in the School except Upper Sixth (Year 13).
Junior School – Pupils can enter at the age of 5 and are prepared for entrance and scholarship assessments, mostly to Loretto Senior School at 12+.
Pre-School – Children aged 3 to 5 will be welcomed from the start of Academic Year 2019/20.
The selection criteria include provision of satisfactory evidence, through the School’s own age-appropriate assessment tests, of academic ability sufficient to access the School curriculum, and a satisfactory reference from the applicant’s current school. Loretto is academically selective but also recognises the central value of co-curricular activities, and enthusiasm in these fields is expected and encouraged.
Our Admissions representatives will be happy to talk to you about arranging a visit, to explain the admissions process, or to clarify any points that you may need to discuss. They can be reached by telephone: +44 (0) 131 653 4455 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, 28 September (Senior School) and Saturday, 5 October (Junior School)
Scholarships and Bursaries
Senior School – Academic, Art, Drama, Golf, Music, Piping and Sports Scholarships are available. Means-tested bursaries up to 105% are also available.
Junior School – A range of Bursaries are available for entry to the Nippers, usually at 10+ and 11+. Occasional and Flexi Boarding are possible for pupils aged 11 and over.
For further details regarding Scholarships and Bursaries, please contact our Admissions Team on +44 (0) 131 653 4455 or email email@example.com
|Boarding fees per term||£7,750 – £11,900|
|Day fees per term||£2,833 – £8,100|