St George's School for Girls
Situated ten minutes from the heart of Edinburgh on a beautiful campus, St George’s School for Girls provides an outstanding education for today’s young women.
What makes us unique
- We are the only all-through girls’ school in Edinburgh (from 2-18 years)
- We are an Edinburgh city school at an optimum school size (approximately 800 students)
- Our exceptional international programme promotes an understanding and awareness of ourselves in a global context
The school has extensive expertise in the single-sex classroom. We believe there are many advantage to being exclusively for girls:
- Girls have the confidence and freedom to be themselves.
- Girls are likely to study subjects they enjoy and at which they excel; there are no gender stereotypes to influence them.
- We are experts in teaching girls and know how girls learn best.
- We achieve outstanding academic results; the national league tables are evidence of this.
- We provide a challenging and supportive environment designed for girls where they are free to take risks and master new skills.
- Many independent schools offer academic excellence and impressive extra-curricular programmes. St George’s does all this and more-and we can show you the evidence: following the inspection by Education Scotland earlier this year, we were judged to be excellent (or sector leading) in our curriculum, our improvement in performance (attainment and achievement) and improvement through self-evaluation.
- We are small enough (at about 800) to know your daughter really well, and yet we are large enough, especially in the examination years, to offer an impressively wide range of subjects and courses. Transitions are managed smoothly and secondary education begins early, in Primary 7, where our girls relish the intellectual challenge of being taught by subject specialists.
Designed exclusively for girls, our school was founded by pioneering women who were passionate about achieving equal opportunities for their students. We are still pioneers in women’s education, and we never see gender as a barrier to our girls’ aspirations. Surrounded by positive female role models, your daughter will have opportunities here to discover new talents and skills and to develop her academic potential.
Our academic results are outstanding, with most of the students going on to their first choice of university. We offer a mixture of Scottish and English qualifications, and in 2014* , 2013* and 2012**, St George’s was the top independent school for Advanced Highers in Scotland (Best Schools * and Financial Times**). The teaching sets are small, with individual attention assured for each student.
Located on the west side of Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city.
Nearest airport: Edinburgh Airport: 20 minutes (6 miles), Glasgow Airport: 1 hour (52 miles)
Nearest train station: Haymarket Station: 5 minutes (1.5 miles), Waverley Station: (15 minutes) 5 miles
St George’s has taken full boarding students since 1912, and today our boarders form a very special community at the heart of the school. Approximately 60 girls, ranging in nationality and age from 10 to 18, live in Houldsworth House. We have a ‘home from home’ environment for our boarders where they feel secure to be all that they can be academically, socially and emotionally. Boarders are encouraged to contribute their ideas to the weekly programme of activities, outings and events, which complements the extensive extracurricular programme throughout the School. We are proud to be an international community and enjoy sharing and celebrating one another’s customs and festivals.
The school holds the International School Award (2014 – 2017). This recognises its exceptional International Exchange Programme as well as its pioneering international classroom-based work. Students enter into exchange programmes with schools in many different parts of the world to learn more about the world around them. Our partners include schools in North and South America, Australia, China and Europe. We also welcome visiting students from these partner schools every year. The school also hosts a Confucius classroom and has been pioneering in the teaching of Chinese language and culture for many years.
I wanted to write to thank you for your outstanding care of our daughters. They are extremely fortunate young ladies to have benefited so much from your kindness, care and personal development. The warm environment and diverse influences in Houldsworth House have supported and educated our girls in a unique fashion.
Our transition to a boarding family was made so easy and happy thanks to the team at Houldsworth and over five years we have had many occasions to be thankful that our daughter has been under your kindness and care. We have watched her grow into a confident and happy young woman and know that much of that is down to just the right balance of freedom and responsibility and we are extremely grateful to you for getting the balance just right.
The St George’s boarding house gave our daughter just the right balance of understanding, confidence building and work ethic, whilst allowing her to grow up and prepare herself for greater independence. It has meant so much to us to know that she has had a loving “home” to go when we have not been there.
We have been boarding at St George’s for two years and time has really flown by. We can hardly believe that we only met two years ago. Not only do we have classes and extra-curricular activities together, but we also share a room. Being in Houldsworth has been an amazing experience for us both. Because there is such a variety of nationalities here we have had the opportunity to meet and befriend girls from every corner of the globe. The small and family-like community we have in Houldsworth allows us to bond and really get to know one another, no matter what our age or background. Boarding has also taught us how to be more responsible and caring of others. Similarly we have always felt completely supported by one another throughout our time here. The houseparents always work closely with school and other teachers to ensure we achieve what we are capable of and have the best time doing it. Not only are they always there to help with homework, but they are always there with a cup of tea when things get tough and all we need is a chat and a helping hand.
Overall, boarding at St George’s has provided us with amazing opportunities, memories and friends that will last a lifetime. Houldsworth is not just a boarding house, it is a sisterhood.
Pupils, Anna and Eilidh, U5
Admissions & Fees
Girls are admitted at any stage of their school career. Entry is by our own school entrance assessment, interview and school report. We offer individual and group assessment days, school visits, open days and taster days.
Sibling brothers are welcome at Merchiston Castle School for boys, Edinburgh, where we offer a discount scheme.
St George’s seeks to be accessible to students from a wide range of social, economic and cultural backgrounds: means-tested bursaries are available for families who cannot afford the full fee.
Further information is available here.
|Termly Boarding fee||£7945 - £8810|
|Termly Day fee||£2595 - £4215|