A small school, big on heart, big on ambition
- Scotland’s oldest boarding school, founded in 1827.
- One of UK’s leading independent boarding and day schools, welcoming girls and boys aged 3 to 18.
- Set in a safe, leafy, spacious, 85 acre campus in Musselburgh; the school enjoys all the advantages of its rural setting.
- Globally connected, with the convenience and opportunities of being just six miles from Edinburgh, its international airport, rail and road networks.
- Truly Scottish and yet diverse, welcoming pupils of 25 different nationalities
- Offering the traditional British / English curriculum, with outstanding results at GSCE and A-Level.
- More than nine pupils out of 10 achieve places at their chosen university, including Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, as well as American Universities.
- A small school, with a superb staff to pupil ratio (1:7), where every pupil is known personally, and individually supported throughout their educational journey.
- Boarders (75% of Senior School pupils) reside in six Houses with all they need to feel at home and benefit from excellent pastoral care.
- Every pupil is known personally, and can grow and develop wherever their interests lie.
- A distinctive emphasis on the full development of the individual in mind, body and spirit.
- Exceptional facilities, bespoke to learning and teaching, sport, drama, dance, art and music.
- A dedicated Sixth Form Centre.
- Extensive Sports programme with specialised coaches in major sports including Cricket, Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby and more.
- An industry-leading Golf Academy with indoor and outdoor centres, providing every pupil with an unmatched opportunity to develop their talent.
Loretto is located in Musselburgh, East Lothian.
Set amid extensive grounds close to the countryside of East Lothian, Loretto’s campus occupies 85 acres (24 ha) and is only six miles from the city of Edinburgh.
Nearest airports: Edinburgh Airport is 17 miles (24 minutes) from where there are daily flights to all parts of Europe.
GCSEs and A-levels are studied and Loretto has an outstanding academic record. More than nine pupils out of 10 achieve places at their chosen university, including Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, as well as American Universities.
Teaching at Loretto centres on the individual and encourages pupils to study independently, and to think for themselves – a vital preparation for university. Small classes and exceptionally good teacher-pupil relationships enable pupils to learn at their own pace, developing their talents to the full.
Sport plays a vital role in the life of all pupils at Loretto and the School has a long tradition of producing competitive and successful teams in both major and minor sports. Loretto believes in the unique educational and social values that experience of playing team sports provides, and everyone is encouraged to represent the School in the sports teams, including in Cricket, Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby and more. In Golf, the School’s industry-leading Academy offers pupils an exceptional opportunity to develop their sporting talent in tandem with a first-class, all-round education. The Loretto Golf Academy operates from the School’s practice facilities and local championship golf courses. Loretto also offers a rich Adventure and Leadership Programme, which reflects the School’s emphasis on the value of outdoor pursuits, exploration and physical fitness. This includes a range of outdoor activities, CCF, participation in the Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) Awards Scheme, and the Loretto Borealis Expeditionary Society.
Likewise, Creative & performing arts form an important part of the educational provision at Loretto School. Acknowledged as a centre of excellence for its music, drama and art, Loretto is an Bösendorfer & Yamaha piano school, has its own theatre, Chapel, and many former pupils now pursue successful careers in these fields.
‘Loretto is situated in a perfect Location, close to Edinburgh’s city centre… so I am surrounded by the most beautiful countryside. As the school is not too large, pupils at Loretto get to form friendships with their teachers and regularly get the chance of personal tuition…. To me, being at Loretto means that I am confident, happy and secure because Loretto is not just a school, it is much more. Loretto strengthens my existing talents and nurtures lesser ones. I can be the best I can be. It encourages me to develop and grow at my own pace, it supports success and builds on failures. I am treated and respected as an individual yet also integrated within the whole school community. I am so proud to be a Lorettonian. Loretto has equipped me with values to last a lifetime, and has reinforced honesty and integrity.’
Admissions & Fees
Loretto School’s Admissions procedure aims to ensure that boys and girls who join Loretto are able to be happy, successful and secure within its academic, cultural and pastoral environment, whether they are boarders or day pupils.
Senior School – Applications are accepted for entry into most years in the School except Upper Sixth (Year 13).
Junior School – Pupils can enter at the age of 5 and are prepared for entrance and scholarship assessments, mostly to Loretto Senior School at 12+.
Pre-School – Children aged 3 to 5 are welcomed and prepared for entry into Loretto Junior School at 5+
The selection criteria include provision of satisfactory evidence, through the School’s own age-appropriate assessment tests, of academic ability sufficient to access the School curriculum, and a satisfactory reference from the applicant’s current school. Loretto is academically selective but also recognises the central value of co-curricular activities, and enthusiasm in these fields is expected and encouraged.
Our Admissions representatives will be happy to talk to you about arranging a visit, to explain the admissions process, or to clarify any points that you may need to discuss. They can be reached by telephone: +44 (0) 131 653 4455 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, 14 March (Junior School) and Saturday, 21 March (Senior School)
Scholarships and Bursaries
Academic, Art, Drama, Golf, Music, Piping and Sports Scholarships are available at Senior School. Means-tested bursaries up to 105% are also available.
For further details, please contact our Admissions Team on +44 (0) 131 653 4455 or email email@example.com
|Boarding fees per term||£7,750 – £11,900|
|Day fees per term||£2,833 – £8,100|